Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rob Corless Comes From A Land Down Under

Hello Squid Faithful,

My good friend, Rob Corless, has a show at the WWA Gallery, opening next Friday, May 7th at 7pm. His art is super kewl and you should def take the time to check out his blog at Cyanide Sunset.

I met Rob Corless sometime ago. Actually that is a big, fat liey liey lie lie. I've never actually met Rob Corless, although I've known him for sometime now. Ours is a 21st century friendship. It began when I saw a painting of his I just had to have on the reader art section of Juxtapoz's website. From there we became Myspace friends, because this was back in the day when people actually used Myspace. (Did I just date myself?) We've now transitioned to Facebook friends and I have full faith that one day we may actually be face to face, real life friends, but its more likely we'll just start following each other on Twitter.

Anyways, enjoy getting to know Rob Corless the same way I have, by reading his answers to my asinine questions on a computer screen. YAY FOR TECHNOLOGY!!!!!

DR: I've known you for a while now and I keep meaning to ask you this, what the hell is going on in that head of yours?

RC: Ticking clocks and time bombs, and there is a net with a giant hole in it. And there is a strange dwarf that always laughs at me, kind of like a David Lynch movie.

DR: I know you have a regular comic in Strange Aeons Magazine and comics of your creation have been featured in Planet Lovecraft several times. What would you say were the most influential comics to you growing up and what comics are you into now?

RC: The most influential would have to be The Maxx. Sam Keith's art really drew me in, but it was the story that made me rethink comics in general. It made me realize that comics could be more than just flashy good guys vs bad guys stories, but a very relate-able format for storytelling. I don't tend to read many comics these days. I enjoy drawing them and mainly spend time trying to get my own projects to see the light of day. Slowly but surely Dave, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

DR: An Asian influence seems to pop up in your work from time to time. Is this because you are a ninja sir, or is there a more probable and thereby boring reason?

RC: I'm much too clumsy to be a ninja so there has to be another reason. I really enjoy Japanese art and design, particularly the Ukiyo-e prints by the greats like Utagawa and Hokusai, and this must translate in to my art in some way. I do tend to use dragons in my work which are very recognisable as an Asian symbol of strength and spiritualism.

DR: Let's say there is some validity to the theory of reincarnation. Do you think its possible that you've eaten some of your ancestors?

RC: That could be possible. Sorry about that, but that's life I guess. Maybe they should have tried harder in their past life and they wouldn't have ended up as part of my meal.

DR: For those that don't know you, describe yourself, but do it as if you were writing a personal add on Craigslist.

RC: Well-meaning Australian artist seeks validity in Artworld on some level.

DR: Your painting "The Sparrow Visit" involves a man with what appears to be a bag lunch and a box on his head. Do tell.

RC: The image the box-headed man started off as a scribble that I found amusing. I thought it was kind of crazy for this guy to be hiding this way seeing as he was obviously out and interacting with the world. There is no real underlying meaning. I prefer to hear what people take away from the image.

DR: What are your feelings on boxed wine?

RC: Great for playing Wheel of Goon. Hang the inner bag to a clothes-line, spin it. Whoever it stops over has to skull. It reminds me of parties many years ago.

DR: I have no idea what the hell you just said. Moving on. What is your favorite thing to do when nobody is looking?

RC: Sleeping. It is such a precious commodity.

DR: This is your first solo show in The States. As an outsider looking in what are your impressions of our fine country?

RC: Growing up in Australia in the 80's I had a healthy dose American pop culture pumped into my brain in the form of TV sitcoms, movies, music etc. Starting from then I guess the US has always had a kind of fascinating appeal. Also there seem to be more opportunities to have a large audience see my art.

DR: Throughout all of the paintings in "Offerings" there is healthy dose of fantasy. What do you fantasize about? And may I remind you that your kids might read this someday.

RC: When I was a kid I would wish that I had super powers. That I was able to fly or zap somebody with my hands. Now days when I'm working on a story for a comic I'll try to put myself in the scenario to try and come up with some ideas, but I wouldn't really call that fantasizing. I guess I fantasize about ordinary things like traveling the world or what I'd do if I came into loads of money. Probably the same as most people.

DR: One last question, what is the deal with the extra u in color? Colour? Seriously? Seriously?

RC: In Australia we firmly believe in inefficiently placing extra irrelevant letters in certain words. I don't know, blame the Queen. It's her English.

For more information and to view Rob's available artwork from the "Offerings", visit WWA gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment